Oh, August. You were supposed to be good to me. Instead, for the most part, you were pretty damned stressful. I didn’t talk about a lot of the things that were weighing on my mind, and that’s because this is my fun happy place, but a brief recap includes: my place of employment has gone through some drastic changes and I spent the first two weeks fearing I’d be unemployed (again, though this time with more yarn); I had a health scare that turned out to be fine (well, aside from some lab tests revealing that I need to make some changes to my diet and also I’m very low on vitamin D, but nothing urgent or really scary); and a severe lack of sleep associated with stress and heat (SO HOT) that led to burnout of epic proportions. So to say that I am looking forward to this three-day weekend is an incredible understatement.
But I also made a breakthrough in the knitting, and that was finishing the Loki Scarf. Finishing it meant a) it would get to Jessi on time for DragonCon (where she is this weekend and hopefully soon I’ll have a full FO post about that project), and b) I could KNIT OTHER THINGS. There was a serious, painful moment of “KNIT ALL THE THINGS” which ended with me on the floor in the fetal position crying about only having two hands and not enough needles. We’re good now.
And my Cecilia was finished in record time for this panda, and I love wearing it and no, really, could we please get some autumn up in here so that I can wear it all the time?
There was a bit of a falling down on the yarn buying front. You know how much I love Sweet Georgia (do not even get me started on how much I would like one skein of each of her new Fall colors)… so when one of the local yarn stores announced a sale on Tough Love Sock, for 30% off… really, we should be proud of me for only buying two skeins. They were also running a program with other yarn stores in the area and had daily drawings for prizes, and I won the drawing because of those purchases! So I came home with six skeins of Cascade Kid Seta in two shades of purple (that’s 1800 yards of mohair I’m not really sure what to do with but have a very loose idea of a design, oddly enough). And then I finally received the first skein of the Heroes and Villains club I’d signed up for, and it was appropriately, for me, a Loki-themed colorway.
Okay, so, three day weekend here in the States for most of us, mine is relatively free of commitments, and I have a to do list.
- Watch the Netflix movies I have at home: Lawrence of Arabia, The Rescuers Down Under, and The Swell Season: Live from the Artists’ Den (you can’t say I don’t attempt to be well-rounded)
- Mainline season 4 of Sons of Anarchy and catch up on season 2 of Alphas and watch some more Supernatural.
- Try to not get stuck in the sofa.
- Knit knit knit on my Pontos Cardigan. I’m pretty sure I’m going to run out of yarn, even though I thought I had plenty when I started. But then again, my brain was leaking out of my ears for most of June and July. Extra skein on the way!
- Swatch for new secret test-knitting project if possible (queue be damned, apparently)
- Look forward to a hopefully less-stressful September (though I do have a deadline in a week and a half) and then OCTOBER AND PARIS AND FLAIL.
Celebrating Labor Day weekend? What are your plans?